After the shock announcement of the closure of Australia’s oldest Holden museum, collectors and enthusiasts will soon have the opportunity to bid on a piece of motoring history.
Following the announcement of the National Holden Motor Museum last week, the contents of the site will soon be up for auction to the public.
Burns & Co have been nominated as the auctioneers for the museum – Australia’s oldest-running Holden museum – with collectors to be given the opportunity to buy cars, motorcycles, signage, factory fittings, prototypes, ex-display cabinets and merchandise, motorsports memorabilia, and other oddities from Holden’s history.
However, it’s understood most of the vehicles on display are on loan and won’t be offered in the auction.
Some items could end up being relocated to other museums such as the Trafalgar Holden Museum, the Metcalfe Holden Museum, or the Mildura Holden Motor Museum – or one of the many other motoring museums found throughout Australia.
According to a statement posted online, the National Holden Motor Museum in Echuca – on the border of Victoria and New South Wales – was unable to find a buyer, forcing the closure.
In an emotional Facebook post, museum owners Tony and Mark Galea said they had hoped to keep the museum going, but having the site open every day of the week had taken a toll on their personal lives.
“Unfortunately, no serious buyers came forward, so we will close on 14th April and auction the contents which belong to us on 18th May 2024.”
Auctioneers Burns & Co have said cataloguing the contents of the museum will commence from mid-April and will be available to view online later that month.
Lot inspections will occur on Friday 17 May ahead of the auction on Saturday 18 May 2024, with more information to be announced closer to the event.
<button class="navigation_glide__arrow__je__h navigation_glide__arrow–left__y3DP1 navigation_glide__arrow–inactive__H6d8_" data-glide-dir="|Previous